08/07/2011

Writing makes writers antisocial

"It has become increasingly clear to me over these last 10 years, in which I have written more regularly than before, that the more I write the worse I become. More self-absorbed, less sensitive to the needs of others, less flexible, more determined to say what I have to say, when I want and how I want, if I could only be left alone to figure it out.
Alan Hollinghurst has recently observed a similar phenomenon in himself, and used it to explain why he lives alone. "I'm not at all easy to live with," he says. "I wish I could integrate writing into ordinary social life, but I don't seem to be able to. I could when I started. I suppose I had more energy then. Now I have to isolate myself for long periods."
Read more:
http://m.guardian.co.uk/books/booksblog/2011/jul/07/writing-bad-for-your-rick-gekoski?cat=books&type=article

No comments:

Post a Comment