26/01/2010

SadoMasochistic pleasures of sleepless nights

I often can't sleep at night, and last night was no different. I've learned that trying to force myself to sleep just doesn't work, and it is best to use the time for other means. Usually, I read. Last night I turned to sadomasochism.

First I read a couple of works by Marquis de Sade, father of sadism. Most people know who de Sade was, and what he wrote. Unlike de Sade, who is often considered one of the literary classics, Leopold von Sacher-Masoch is virtually forgotten. His writing lacked certain vivaciousness that was so abundant in the Marquis' works. Yet, without von Sacher-Masoch there would be no masochism. What makes these two go so well together? As wikipedia has it : Sadism is pleasure in the infliction of pain or humiliation upon another person, while masochism refers to gratification from receiving the same. Both authors indulged their imagination in describing bodily and emotional pleasures from said practices. Venus in Furs is the latter author's best known work. Download a free ebook and peep into Wanda and Severin's passionate reveries.

No comments:

Post a Comment